RE: [AV Media Matters] Print-through - limits on baking

At 07:37 AM 07/09/2000 -0700, Peter Brothers wrote in part:
>We have treated tapes with sticky shed that were later stored in a
>low-humidity environment and were still playable after three years without
>retreatment.

The one experience I had with tapes of this nature, were masters from 1983
that I baked in 1998 and copied them. I purchased new reproduction
equipment late in 1998 and re-transferred them in 1999. They needed to be
re-baked. They had been stored in an air-conditioned residential
environment in Glendale, California (not your most humid site on earth by a
long shot). The 1999 transfer sounded better than the 1998, as I would
expect since the new machine was a Sony APR5003V which is one of the
best-sounding tape machines I've ever run across.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              richard@richardhess.com
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography,
                  broadcast engineering, home wiring, and more