From: C Linstead [mailto:Cheryl.Linstead@gems7.gov.bc.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 11:47 AM
To: AV-Media-Matters@topica.com
Subject: [AV Media Matters] Audio query

One of our branches is proposing to change its retention period of audio
tapes from 5 years to 20. These tapes are not intended for archival
disposition.

I would be interested in hearing of best practices list members either
employ or have identified for 20 year reliability.
For example, recommendations for transfer interval times, brand/format of
recording stock, etc. I am not confident that a cool and dry storage
environment will be guaranteed.

Any and all input, on or off list, will be much appreciated!

Cheryl.

Cheryl Linstead
Audio-Visual Records Curator, BC Archives
Information, Science and Technology Agency
Phone: (250) 387-2959  /  Fax: (250) 387-2072
Cheryl.Linstead@gems7.gov.bc.ca
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/index.htm