Re: [AV Media Matters] film restoration process

I don't know who has bought one yet, and I don't know how
affordable it is,
but I was quite impressed with the Snell and Wilcox demonstration at NAB.
It solved a wide variety of problems with varying degrees of success, from
passable to exceptional, in real time.

Cheers,

Richard (with aching feet in Las Vegas)

At 07:01 PM 4/12/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Contact Digital Vision (http://www.digitalvision.se) and Preferred Video
>Products (http://www.pvpburbank.com).
>
>TTFN,
>Mark
>

>joe salerno wrote:
>>
>> Is there any affordable software for denoising or descratching films,
>> similar to what is used for digital resotration of audio recordings?
>>
>> I may have asked this befroe, sorry if it is redundant. I don't
>> think Ihave
>> ever gotten a good answer, which probably means "no"
>>
>> Joe Salerno
>> Video Works! Is it working for you?
>> PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405
>> http://joe.salerno.com
>> Fax: 603-415-7616

"safe" solvent
>>> ("safe" for the film and person).  I have used 3M's HFE-7100 with
>>> about 2 -
>>> 5% v/v ethanol ("absolute" not 95% or other denatured form.
>>> Concerns about
>>> the water content).  The reason for dilution is that ethanol is a
>>> very good
>>> solvent for the plasticisers.  Too good in fact, and will rip out the
>>> plasticiser that still remains in the base unless great care is
>>> taken.   3M
>>> also market HFE-71DE which has a small quantity of ethanol in
>> it and seems
>>> to work well for this purpose but perhaps not quite as well as
>> the diluted
>>> EtOH/ 7100.  Even using this approach the object should not
>be saturated
>>> but just lightly swabbed.
>>>
>>> Maybe this solution is OK for mag, I'd be interested in others
>> perspective
>>> on the suitability, or results.  Especially if the deposit is
>> not the base
>>> plasticiser but a binder lubricant.
>>>
>>> Secondly, if the base has begun to decompose (a reaction initially
>>> co-dependent upon water) is it a fair assumption the binder also
>>> hydrolysing?  How rapidly does the binder change in
viscosity/Tg?  Has