Re: [AV Media Matters] metal vrs wooden shelving for VHS tape storage

Mark

It is not easy to magnetize something as large as a metal shelf.  The only
way I am aware of is by the use of magnets as end-stops for books.  That
would create a local magnetic field on the shelf but I do not know if that
would be large enough to be a problem.  Gaussmeters only cost a few dollars
and anything below about 10 gauss will be okay.  A compass will indicate if
there is a magnetic field but not the magnitude.

Jim Wheeler