RE: [AV Media Matters] Removing Candle Wax!!

Don't laugh...there is an old "Dear Heloise" (American "household hints"
newspaper column) trick that uses ice for removal of wax.  I've used this
for candle drips on fabric and such and it WORKS!  Someone else can provide
the scientific rationale....

Pam Wintle

<<< Graham Newton <gn@audio-restoration.com>  3/ 6  7:39p >>>
Graeme Jaye wrote:

>I have here a two disc vinyl LP set where the client (or, more likely, a
>previous owner) has managed to get candle wax in the grooves - one is
>tempted to wonder how he managed to do this ;-)
>Whatever, it's down to me to get it out - and I haven't a clue where to
>start.

A few important factors come into play...

1.  How much wax?
If there is a lot, and if the vinyl can be flexed, the wax may break up
sufficiently and then the majority of it might be pried off with a soft
kitchen spatula.

2.  Under what conditions did it get on the disc?
If it was splashed on, it may have cooled somewhat on the way to the
disc surface, not having adhered to the surface sufficiently, and you
may be able to pick up the edge with a new razor blade held almost flat
against the disc surface.

3.  What kind of wax?
If it is soft wax of the paraffin variety, it will be low melting point
and if you can determine the correct temperature, (it should be well
under boiling water) you may be able to safely imerse the disc in a
controlled temperature water bath and float it off.  Mounting the disc
on an axle through the center hole and rotating the disc vertically in
the water bath will help to keep the label dry.

In lieu of the above, it might be possible to find a petroleum solvent
that will dissolve the presumed paraffin without affecting the vinyl.
Paraffin is a solid version of paraffin oil, and that in itself might be
a solvent for it.

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.