RE: [AV Media Matters] CD labels and inks

I was surprised myself to see the recommendation for labels. In general
- the archival community has LOTS of experience with adhesive labels of
one sort or another and my understanding is that the experience - in
general has been very poor. There are several issues - some relating to
the adhesives, and others relating to the paper stock used for labels.

Problems with adhesives relate not only to them losing their adhesive
properties over time and in proper storage environments (cold and dry),
but on the other end of the spectrum having adhesives that cannot be
removed without great damage to the object that they are on.

In the case with CD/R I would be very concerned about both of these
issues over time - particularly considering that the label will not be
on the polycarbonate layer but will be essentially on a varnish of one
flavor or another - what will happen to the adhesive over time?  If it
dries - can it be easily removed without taking the varnish with it
and/or will a solvent that would be used to remove the label adhesive
also damage the varnish ( I would suggest that this might be very
possible )?  Other issues might relate to the chemical interactivity
between the adhesives / varnish over time.  The paper stocks have been a
problem also - papers that are highly acidic may be used for label stock
- and that may cause a problem over time... I don't know.

Having said this, there ARE archival labels that are made specifically
for the archival community - but I have no idea whether they are made in
the correct size for CD's - and I have no idea what type of testing (if
any) has been done.

Over at VidiPax we have specifically avoided adhesive labels for the
reasons mentioned above - we use an ink jet printer which is rather a
pain to use - very slow - lots of re-work too - registration is tough on
it. It is essentially an Epson Stylus Photo 700 that has been modified
by a manufacturer with a device to hold the disk as it goes through. The
inks are the same used for photo printing so there does not seem to be
any alcohol and appear to be fairly inert (that is what the vendor says
anyhow) - but we can only use certain media with it - it is fairly slow
- the ink is expensive - and I think that it is fair to say that the
production crew hates it. If anyone has positive experience with another
ink-jet printer I would be eager to hear about it.

jim

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services
Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@topica.com