[AV Media Matters] CD labels and inks

I am archiving server files onto CD, as well as creating incremental
backups every month.  So far I haven't written on the CDs themselves, or
stuck any labels on for fear of corrupting/modifying the CD in some way.

But this might pose a problem if the cases are ever swapped or damaged, as
the only identification is on these.  The CDs are the only permanent
archived backup we have so it is important they remain readable.

I would like to ask the question: is there any "safe" way of labelling CDs?
 Either by sticking labels (what type of glue?) or by writing on them (what
type of ink?)

Thanks, and my apologies if this topic has already been covered.

Ian