[AV Media Matters] Re(2): AV Media Matters Compression discussion.

>1.  Current presentation technology might not indicate problems.  (with
compression) ....

I agree, that compression in the broadcast industry is optimized for small
screen viewing, and that larger screens are going to make defects more
obvious.

Philosophically (its that time of day), aren't we talking about preserving
about what we now have, in order to reproduce in x years times the same
viewing experiance as now. If my grandchildren have cinema sized screens in
their living rooms, trying to watch some 90's material, well are they not
seing what I saw last night? Should they expect to watch it on a big screen
if it was shot for the small.

Of course to preserve the commercial value of good quality material (films -
drame -) into the big screen future, yes, chose a compression scheme
optimized for 8 foot screens. But is the decision necessarily the same for,
say, news/current affairs material?

More compression for news than film, but in both cases, light compression,
certainly not as low as the transmission compression schemes.

                                   Tony Gardner

                Press and Communication Service
                               Audiovisual Unit
                                    TRE120 1/63