Re: [AV Media Matters] Video storage

Jim Wheeler writes:

<<Most of the thermal idiots line up in the first few minutes/hours
after the two layers come together.  After a few days/weeks, the
process is essentially complete.  So, rewinding a tape after a few
years will not effect the print-through. >>

I agree here with Jim.   This happens on an almost logarithmic scale, and
most of the print-through happens within hours and days of the initial
recording.   I might add that I've heard many audio folks claim that leaving
their fresh recordings "tails out" prevents print-through.   Actually, this
practice only controls the subjective result of print-through, resulting in
"post-echo" marring of the audio rather than "pre-echo" damage.  Pre-echo
printthrough is more apparent subjectively because the print-through is
heard
moments before the onset of the primary recording, thus standing out like a
sore thumb!  If you're going to have print-through, you want it to be
post-echo, buried after the start of the primary recording, so "tails out" is
a good idea.

Jim Erickson
Erickson Archival Telecine
EricksonArchival@aol.com