RE: [AV Media Matters] digital archiving

Rob

Unfortunately, the word "archival" is being mis-used.  At the recent AMIA
Conference in Montreal, there were some heated discussions about the TV
Broadcast people using the word archive for non-archival formats like DV and
DVCPRO.

If you use tape, I recommend obtaining the Spec sheet from the tape
manufacturer.  If the word "Archival" is not mentioned then don't buy it.
"Data" formats like DLT can be used for audio.

Removable Hard Drives (HD) are being used in the audio industry but they are
susceptable to head crashes.  If you use HD, I recommend making a backup for
every disk.

You should consider DVD-A for your collection.  Ask the disc manufacturer
how
the two halves are bonded together.  If they were glued, then go to another
manufacturer.  Also, record a disc and play it on machines made by other
manufacturers to be sure that the disc is interchangable.

Jim Wheeler