Re: [AV Media Matters] Videotape Identification Guide

In a message dated 7/11/99 5:01:27 PM, ggib@loc.gov writes:

<<  Does anyone have a means of identifying the tape if is seperated
from the container and/or its reel? For example, a listing of actual
diminisions of the tape indicating base and various layers (oxide,
backing, et al.), coloring (with actual sample of color), magnetic
particle size, et al., would be very help when we are either not
sure that the tape is on its 'proper' reel or when we are reasonably
sure that it is not. >>

We can do a VSM measurement on the tape itself and very accurately identify
it's magnetic charcteristics- usually specified by each manufacturer on a
published spec sheet- a fairly accurate approach to tape identification.  We
can also measure magnetic and non-magnetic coating thickness and determine a
mean particle size if really necessary. It's a lot less expensive however to
keep the tapes properly identified.

Ron Weiss
Arkival Technology