Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording Innovations

Hello Aaron,

--- On Wed, 6/24/09, Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording Innovations
> To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 4:43 PM
> Hi Tom!
>
> Agreed. The daunting task accomplished by those pioneering
> film mixers was (and is) really incredible. I marvel at how
> well they were achieve to such a nuanced balance without the
> aid of our modern tool kit. And when one considers the
> frequency response limitations imposed by the optical track
> it is even more amazing!

By the time I was working in the studios as an apprentice in 1959, they were just changing over to magnetic stripe 35mm which was a major improvement sonically over the optical track, but the next step up technologically was the Rivas butt splicer which allowed the editors to add and/or subtract frames and even sprockets (four per frame) in re-editing.   When I first worked on the new mag. stripe, we hot spliced it, but then, any changes (breaking apart the splice, etc.) would be a problem.  With the butt splice, it was a piece of cake to "move tracks".

Rod Stephens

> Tom Fine wrote:
> > Hi Aaron:
> >
> > What they were doing in Hollywood, from the early
> days, was recording different aspects of the final
> soundtrack on different bits of film and then mixing
> together from motor-sync'd playback to a final sound master.
> There were crude mixing consoles from early in the
> electronic recording days, too. One specific example I was
> told about, and I'll ask the guy for the film title because
> I don't remember it, was the final music was mixed from
> three optical elements, one made from each microphone, with
> each microphone focused on a different musician or group of
> musicians. This would be very similar to live-in-the-studio
> multi-tracking. They were also able to pre-record music
> tracks very early, so a singer on film would be singing
> against a playback. And lip-sync'ing and indeed orchestra
y the early
> 1930's, Western Electric (and probably others) had developed
> amplifier and mixer-network systems allowing for mixing many
> different sound elements into a final soundtrack. Also, the
> whole idea of "stem" mixes came out of Hollywood, a way to
> reduce many elements to a few logically organized stems for
> final mixdown. By the 1940s, the major studios' sound
> departments had big 3-person consoles for final mixing
> (dialog, music, sound effects). Those guys were aces, too.
> Think of the mono soundtracks for some of the big musical
> pictures, that's a very complex sound universe to fit into
> one channel.
> >
> > -- Tom Fine
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Aaron Levinson"
> <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>

tuff if it was avoidable), Mike is right about Les
> Paul inventing very little, by any reasonable definition of
> inventing. However, Paul is indeed a superb musician with an
> innovative mind. I wish he wouldn't "take credit" for so
> many other people's hard work, since he's done plenty that
> he can legitimately take credit for.

> Did he use some sort of acoustic mixing system or just play
> a cylinder into the room at the same time live sound was
> being made, with the horn picking up both?

> electronic-optical recording hit Hollywood, people were
> figuring out how to mix sprocket-synchronized sounds. There
> were multiple sound elements to some very early
> optical-sound pictures. At least that was told to me by a
> restoration guy who has done some very high-profile films.

> Biel" <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx>

hniques.