To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording Innovations

I agree that Les Paul takes undue credit for many things but what Tom describes as multi-track recording in Hollywood is not strictly speaking correct. To me multi-tracking means being able to change separate levels AFTER the process, what he is describing is more like sound-on-sound as opposed to multi-tracking as we commonly understand it today. The same is true of Mike Biel's assertion adding a sound or a voice to an already existing recording, this involves a generational loss whereas with multi-tracking and overdubbing as we employ it today it does not. But sound-on-sound, stereo and a bunch of other so-called modern techniques clearly had their unique antecedents which should be accorded their due. I nevertheless stand by my basic assertion that the reason for so many alternate takes was the recording process of the 78 era. I am well aware that some exceptions do exist and I apologize for not duly noting them.

AA

Tom Fine wrote:
While the general gist of what Aaron said is true (MOST sessions were done live and MOST for-profit record labels did not want to pay for elaborate overdub or punch-in stuff if it was avoidable), Mike is right about Les Paul inventing very little, by any reasonable definition of inventing. However, Paul is indeed a superb musician with an innovative mind. I wish he wouldn't "take credit" for so many other people's hard work, since he's done plenty that he can legitimately take credit for.

Anyway, Mike, how did Edison do "overdubbing"? Did he use some sort of acoustic mixing system or just play a cylinder into the room at the same time live sound was being made, with the horn picking up both?

As for multi-tracking, just about as soon as electronic-optical recording hit Hollywood, people were figuring out how to mix sprocket-synchronized sounds. There were multiple sound elements to some very early optical-sound pictures. At least that was told to me by a restoration guy who has done some very high-profile films.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx>