Re: [ARSCLIST] Are CDs Going The Way Of The 8-Track? I sure hope so !

Not to get into "volume wars" territory here but it's not uncommon for reissue LP's
to be preferred over the original pressing if, for example, the original pressing was
mastered at an unusually low volume. This is especially the case for hip hop DJ's
who regularly bounce back-and-forth between records in a live setting.

Of course, it's expected that one checks his/her levels before cutting the fader from
one disc to the next disc, but it's sure nice to know you can switch things up at the
last second without incurring a significant loss in volume.

An example of this is cutting over from De La Soul's "Simply Havin'" to "Footprints"
by A Tribe Called Quest (the song De La Soul samples on "Simply Havin'"). It's an easy
transition to make - even I can do it - but the levels on the Quest LP are considerably
lower, making the overall effect of the switch pretty anticlimactic if you don't first crank
the the hell out of the Quest. Consequently, many DJ shops will say, "Vast improvement
over the quiet OG copy," etc in their online reviews. (To be fair, original pressings of De
La Soul's own 'De La Soul is Dead' LP are similarly infamous for being quiet.)

Agreed about REM, though. I can't imagine spending money on a repress of that.

Brandon