Re: [ARSCLIST] Earliest recorded sound update on NPR

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello, Allen Amet wrote:

> In a message dated 6/2/2009 1:55:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> pattac@xxxxxxxx writes:
>
> Edison's  intention was originally to write speech by actuating keys, but
> he stumbled  upon the logical possibility of playback of a recording.
>

> ---------------
> Hi,
>
>  Could you be more specific here? What do you mean by "write speech"?  And
> do you mean prior to July 1877? And do you mean in any way via a telegraph
> system, rather than telephone?
>
> Allen

----- this is what Patrick Feaster himself says on his website
www.phonozoic.com:

 "Speech Acoustics and the Keyboard Telephone: Rethinking Edison's Discovery
of the Phonograph Principle,"   ARSC Journal 38:1 (Spring 2007), 10-43.  I
argue that, contrary to what you may have read elsewhere, the phonograph
actually originated in 1877 as a byproduct of Thomas Edison's unsuccessful
plan to build a "keyboard talking telegraph," an instrument that would have
allowed users to "play" individual speech sounds over a telephone line rather
than speaking them into a mouthpiece.

If you read his article, you would have to work hard to argue agains his
conclusions.

Kind regards,

George