Re: [ARSCLIST] DBX for playback of 78s

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Eberle" <JEb45ACP@xxxxxxx>
Here is my take on this : DBX Noise reduction is an encode in recording
and decode in playback system designed to reduce tape noise in
professional recording studios . There was an attempt by DBX to interest the record
industry in a version designed to be used in the mastering of 45s and lps and
the decode unit was to be incorporated
into the preamp or the playback system . The company I was working for at
the time , Nashville Record Productions in Music City USA was given an
onsite demo of this system and it was considered by many
in the industry for adoption as it was quite effective.
The big drawback to the DBX record system and the reason for its'
lack of acceptance was that the DBX encoded record was most unpleasant to
listen to on a playback system that did not have the DBX
decoder ; making compatibility in the market place a big problem

I always found that the most useful tool for listening to 78rpm phonorecords
was a standard (and cheaply available these days) 10-band equalizer.
Obviously, more advanced eq's (if one can afford them?!) would be of
better use!

At any rate, 78rpm phonorecords of the 1889-195? era basically had a
"bandwidth" (frequency response) of around 50-6000 kHz. THAT is
what is on the original recording (although it MIGHT be possible to
recreate "implied" notes via a computer?!).

I always set my eq to chop the upper octave (no recorded content
there!) and the lower couple of octaves (three for acoustic originals!)
for the same reason!

One caveat! Apparently, the bass response of early-electrical-era
78's was MUCH lower than one might expect; I have MANY
pipe-organ recordings (Jesse Crawford et al) mage in that era
which exhibit AMAZING low-end content...!!