To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Diameter (was: playback curves for some 78s)

If memory serves, the smaller 1930s diameter was required to clear the jukebox mechanisms. I've heard that Decca, gunning for the jukebox market, had made its first release in the slightly larger size and had to redo it. I don't know if they used different presses or adjusted the plate area appropriately- my guess is the latter.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx>