Re: [ARSCLIST] Prices of early high-quality phonographs

In a message dated 5/13/2009 1:35:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, clarkjohnsen@xxxxxxxxx writes:

When my  parents went shopping for our first TV in the early Fifties,
no one was  looking at the picture or listening to the sound; it was all
about  furniture.

Shortly after World War II when "fidelity" came to be applied to the high-end reproduction of sound, the Manhattan-based Fisher company specialized in radio-phonographs that not only sounded better than most others but also were housed in handsome pieces of furniture. The cabinet of the Fisher that I bought some 55 years ago stands today in my living room. The origiinal turntable, amplifier, and speaker were removed many years ago, of course, but the cabinet with its folding doors still houses some of my electronics and still looks great.

-- Jack Raymond