[ARSCLIST] May Issue of Black Grooves

The May 2009 issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org<http://www.blackgrooves.org>.   This month we're featuring two more entries in our ongoing look at black rock, including the latest release by the up and coming southern rap-rock band Whole Wheat Bread, and a newly edited and expanded edition of the documentary on the making of Jimi Hendrix's landmark concept album, Electric Ladyland.  Just in time for Mother's Day is Dorothy Norwood's Fifty Years - It's Been Worth It All (with several Mother themed songs); other gospel titles include Oh Happy Day: An All-star Music Celebration featuring duets between sacred and secular artists, and a two-disc Hommage to the Golden Gate Quartet.  Under the hip hop category we're profiling Aceyalone's The Lonely Ones, an album guaranteed to appeal to R&B fans, as well as Russell Myrie's authorized biography of Public Enemy.  Also in this issue are reviews of the latest albums by Ruthie Foster, Mavis Staples, Greg Tate's free jazz collective known as Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber, and The Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band, an extremely appealing reinvention of the Beatle's classic album.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music and Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
812-855-7530