Fra: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] På vegne av Michael Biel
Sendt: 23. mars 2009 07:27
Til: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Emne: Re: [ARSCLIST] playing 78s

joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> IIRC the PB worked best with a stereo input to better define noise and
> make the choice of switching between groove sides. Better to sum the
> channels post-PB.

The PackBurn works ONLY with a stereo input, at least for the switcher
circuit.  There were three sections in it, and the first was the
switcher.  It listened to the two groove walls and decided which one was
the quietest at any point in the record.  If it did not have a stereo
source, how could it tell????????????  And how could it give one or the
other walls separately???  The original model gave an output of either
the left or the right.  The "Centennial Model" numbered 1977 and issued
in 1977 added a feature that would give the sum of the two channels when
both walls were equally quiet.

The second section was the blanker which was a mono impulse noise
eliminator, and this is pretty much what most other noise-reduction
systems in use are.  If all that was available was a mono source, this
still would work.   The third section was the dynamic noise filter which
we discussed yesterday.  This raised and lowered the top frequency of
the low-pass filter to allow more highs when the louder musical content
would mask the surface noise, but then reduced the top frequency when
the program content was quiet and would otherwise allow the surface
noise to be heard.  I HATED this filter, but as I mentioned yesterday,
Dick Burns LOVED it.

Of course any of these three sections could be switched in or out of the
audio path.

Mike Biel   mbiel@xxxxxxxxx