Re: [ARSCLIST] audio reel to reel - how bad is bad - or is this pre-cupping?

On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:18 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> This is, of course, true, but lately I've been finding that tapes
> where I would have gone to a narrower track head on an A810, for
> example, play fine with the full-track head on an A80. I used to draw
> the line at 7.5 in/s for NOT using a full-track head when I had A810s
> in this format, but with the A80, I routinely use a full-track head
> at 7.5 in/s and don't hear any of the azimuth combing.

The Studer Master Recorders (A80, A800, A820) definitely do a great
job with tapes suffering from some cupping.

It should be noted that acetate-base tapes can be rehydrated.  I've
had good luck at removing or minimizing cupping by rehydrating the
tape.  The workflow certainly takes longer because of the tape
treatment, but you'll get great tape-to-head contact afterwards.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting