[ARSCLIST] Agfa PEM 526

Hi, all,

Anyone have any insights into Agfa PEM 526 and its degradation? I had a reel that behaved somewhat differently from the standard Ampex/3M SSS in that the back coating appeared to be shedding, but the normal sticky buildup didn't happen, but the powder (carbon black?) from the back coating transferred onto the playback head (in a loose form) and quickly killed the highs via increased spacing loss.

This did not seem to improve with baking for about 20 hours at about 54 °C.

Pellon wiping did take care of this, but I needed to wipe on the actual transfer pass to remove a fine coating of black powder from the oxide face of the tape. The oxide was brown, which made it even more interesting.

Cheers,

Richard