To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 3:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] basic question from a newbie

On Monday, January 05, 2009 4:18 PM, Eric Jacobs wrote:

If you digitize a 1/4-track tape with a 4-track head, there will
be too much cross-talk on the adjacent tracks (ie. you can hear
the B-side (playing backwards) at a very low level in the background
of the A-side).

I just wanted to point out that the cross-talk is most apparent on spoken word recordings. This is because of the silence between words where there's no signal to mask the cross-talk.

So as tempting as it may be to digitize a large quantity of 1/4-track
spoken word recordings with a 4-track playback head in order to save
money, don't do this without testing to see if the level of cross-talk
is acceptable.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting