Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Recording History (was OTR online?

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

re off-air recordings:

I have a 10" record in several copies on German Brunswick of the broadcasted
Edward VII abdication speech. It was apparently also available on a white no-
text label, because it may not have been sold officially in the UK. Rumour
has it that it was recorded off-air from a short-wave version of the
broadcast picked up in Canada. I also happen to have a recording off-air on
longwave AM (200 kHz Droitwich, England; now, and until it closes down: 198
kHz). It was recorded in Denmark. It is much clearer than the Brunswick one,
and you can hear the door slamming and not just a thud when the announcer
leaves the microphone to the abdicating king. So, I would say that aerials
mean everything for reception.

Kind regards,

George

P.S. At some stage I shall find the documentation and tell you about the in-
house BBC standards that controlled the bandwidth when broadcasting in the
1930s. There was absolutely no talk of "generous bandwidth" on the AM bands
(MW and LW).