Re: [ARSCLIST] My "CD-based" gripe--was: ARSC Awards -- Award criteria (was: Awards 2009 - Call for Nominations)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Epstein" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Seems to me the sort of thing that an XML-based record interchange format would be good at. Comma separated tables work well until the first time someone changes the table schema by adding a new data field. With a series of commonly tagged records, additional fields don't impact backward compatibility. Then, it would be relatively simple to develop Javascript/PHP scripts for basic reading and HTML formatted display of the data (say for a built-in reader on a CD/DVD distribution) without any more specialized or license restricted software. At the same time, such a fomat would also facilitate more advanced manipulation or the importation of data into other databases. Grep, awk, and perl would, of course, still be options for those of us who want it.

The first step here then is agreeing on a format and base set of attributes.

To a certain extent, a format has already been established by the
existence of about 100MB or so of "Abrams Files." These use
random-access (fixed record & field lengths) text files...8 fields
with 30/50/10/10/10/10/10/30 field sizes, meaning 160-byte
data records. These CAN (albeit with a bit of work) be imported
into MS Excel and MS Access; if I ever find my "wandered off"
previous hard drive, I can build applications using VB6 to open,
edit or create such files.