Re: [ARSCLIST] Lacquer disc storage conditions

Like George B-N in Denmark I've also seen those imprints of Pyral and
AudioDisc trademarks in pressings, but have also seen evidence of Reeves
Soundcraft.  In some cases the level of quality control were the reasons
for discs being selected for different grades.  While there were some
differences in thickness of aluminum base and the number of lacquer
coatings in a company's different grades, they sometimes just sold at a
lower grade and price a disc that didn't pass the highest quality.  That
usually was the reason for the "Use Other Side" on mastering discs.
Since many mastering engineers would not want to flip a lacquer over and
record on the side that had already touched the turntable, why pay a
premium price for a disc where both sides passed quality control and
save some money and buy the ones where there might be a flaw on the
other side.

Some of the earliest Cecil Watts Margarette Sound Studio MSS discs in
the mid-30s were recordable ONLY on one side because the second side
just had dark blue paint on it, not lacquer.  You would have had to
REALLY be careful using those!  And during WW II there were some
re-coating companies which stripped lacquer off old discs and re-coated
only one side.  It cut down on the expense if you HAD to use an aluminum
instead of glass.

From what I heard from the son of the founder of Presto, AudioDevices
had been founded in the late 30s by several former Presto employees.
They had an idea of a unique way of coating the discs, and if it is true
it might be why I seem to find AudioDiscs with lacquer peeled off in
large pieces more often than other brands.  They coated the aluminum
base with a sheet of solidified lacquer.  The first Presto discs from
1934 and 35, like the MSS discs, were sprayed.  These had the lacquer
covering the entire disc all the way to the center.  Presto then changed
to a dipping process and the lacquer does not go all the way to the
center.  The aluminum was held with a rubber stopper on the center.  The
Green Seal was painted on to cover that condition, as well as give the
discs their name.  Some discs show the Presto name in bare aluminum
around the center hole, and later ones with improved "Q" lacquer have a
bare Q around the center hole.  When they moved to Paramus, New Jersey,
around 1939 they switched to a system of having the disc on a conveyor
belt passing thru a curtain of lacquer falling down between a
knife-edged gap.  Once again the lacquer goes all the way to the center.
 The discs dried on the belt passing the long distance between the front
and back of the long and narrow building that I passed so many times
during my childhood.

Mike Biel  mbiel@xxxxxxxxx