[ARSCLIST] Constructing missing glass lacquer piece

I have a glass lacquer that has been broken in several pieces. We have
all but one piece, about 10 mm wide (circumference/theta) and 25 mm
(radius).  It's in the middle of the groove area, rather than at the
edge of the disc.  The lacquer is still well adhered to the glass on
all of the pieces, with very clean breaks so that the grooves join
up well between pieces.

What techniques do people use to "bridge the gap" when a glass piece
is missing?  The method and materials I seek should be reversible -
nothing should permanently adhere to the disc pieces, and the process
should be mechanically and chemically neutral to the laminate.

I would like to create a temporary piece from perhaps some sort of
pourable plastic or relatively hard wax that can be shaped.  I'm not
sure such a material exists, but given how far material science has
come over the decades, I'm hoping there's something available.

Once a proxy has been created for the missing piece, silent grooves
would be created to bridge the stylus between the existing grooves
on either side of the proxy.

I know that Carl Haber's Irene would be a great way to approach this
problem with its non-contact playback, but I'd like to explore options
in lieu of Irene, seeing that Irene is not yet available except as a
prototype in a lab.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting