[ARSCLIST] lacquer transfer

Has anyone ever found a coating or spray that can be applied to a lacquer to make for a quieter transfer, besides water?

I seem to recall a presentation by Seth in which he mentioned Tascam pinch roller lubricant or cleaner as a possibility.

joe salerno

Eric Jacobs wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Just a note on Audiodisc blanks...  In my experience the Audiodisc
blanks seem to have more plasticizer than some of the other blanks.
This is purely anecdotal from transfering many hundreds of these
discs.

The extra abundance of plasticizer has benefits - the recordings
tend to be quieter than other blanks, and they seem modestly less
prone to laminate shrinkage and crazing due to plasticizer loss.

The down side is that they are more prone to palmitic and stearic
acid formation than other brands of blanks.  Again, this is purely
anecdotal / observation.

Per my other email, stable temperature and low humidity are more
critical for Audiodisc blanks than perhaps other brands (although
stable temps and low RH are important for storing all lacquer
discs).

Last, but not least, I would strongly recommend storing these discs
in base-buffered sleeves.  The base buffer in the sleeve will help
minimize or at least stave off the autocatylitic reaction associated
with palmitic and stearic acid formation, particularly if you don't
have the driest of storage conditions.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jeffrey Martin Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:10 PM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [ARSCLIST] Lacquer disc storage conditions

I'm trying to advise a colleague who has recently discovered some 1960s-era lacquer discs in her collection. (They're recorded on Audio Devices Audiodiscs.) What are the preferred conditions for storing lacquer discs? She has access to cold storage (40 degrees F), cool storage (55 degrees F) and obviously standard office HVAC storage.

Many thanks,

Jeff Martin
Chicago, IL