It still relates to baking, as the tape I meant would need to be baked again for subsequent playings. And, three of the 500 had to be reconstructed from original recordings as no amount of baking would let them play for more than a minute or two. If there had not been replacement source recordings, more stringent recovery would have been needed.
Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689

On Nov 8, 2008, at 9:45 AM, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello all,

there has just been a very interesting and expansive exchange of views
concerning the mechanisms of baking on the ARSCLIST (go for subject line
'revisiting tape bakers' - it had not strayed when I started writing this),
and the latest comment by an experienced person - Lou Judson - says:

In fact, we are looking for some way to dispose of the tapes after
transfer, as they are simply not archivable except as voluminous
boxes of possibly sentimental but otherwise unusable materials!

(sorry, Lou, for quoting partly out of context).