Re: [ARSCLIST] Help with Digital file

At 11/5/2008 06:25 AM, Bethany Hawkins wrote:
We have a compact flash drive with a speech recorded digitally from our annual meeting. When we try to open the file, it says it is corrupted. Is this filed something you all might be able to access for us? Or, do you know someone we could contact? Or should we just give up? I appreciate your advice. We hoped to print the article in our magazine, so retrieving the file is very important.

If the file is corrupted, it might be possible to use a file recovery program to retrieve it. Try either GetDataBack from Runtime Software (www.runtime.org) or Recover My Files (http://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?item=7198-1). If they don't work, try one or more of the others lined from http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/. Those programs are primarily designed for retrieving bad files from hard drives, but you might have good luck with a flash drive. It all depends on the nature of the corruption to the file and the specific features of the recovery program.

You might want to discuss the problem with your IT people; it's more of a computer problem than an audio issue. Or if you want to discuss this in more detail, send me a private e-mail.

John Ross