Re: [ARSCLIST] Proper storage of mylar/acetate tapes

Tom,

Ideally, the two types of tape would be stored differently - acetate with
more humidity and mylar with less humidity.  If they share the same storage,
you'll need to compromise.  In my experience, the acetate can be remediated
be rehydrating it, which requires no high temperature exposure and in my
experience little or no negative sonic side effects.  We all know that
certain types of mylar/polyester tape stocks may need to be baked,
especially
if exposed to too much humidity.  And baking can reduce high frequency
response (by how much, can be, and is often debated).

If I were faced with the same compromise of single storage for the two
media types, I would suggest biasing towards an optimal environment for
mylar/polyester for two reasons: (1) the bulk of your collection is
mylar/polyester, and (2) the acetates can be remediated with less negative
sonic impact.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting