Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

<SNIP>
> A few of these facilities use those $1000+ AC cables.  I did not have the
> balls to ask them to swap to a standard cable for my own curiosity, but I
> can tell you *none* of the mastering engineers described the differences
as
> "major improvements".

Again, the studio environment... these are not listening studios, these are
recording (or mastering) studios.
<SNIP>

RP)  I'm sorry, but I beg to differ and I believe most audio professionals
won't agree with that statement.  Mastering rooms are built for critical
listening.  I agree that the design criteria (neutrality with excellent
translation to the outside world) might be different then in a personal
listening room. (personal preference often based on a preferred music
genre.)

If you really feel this way, then we have a serious void in our individual
point of reference, to even continue the debate.... IMHO.

<SNIP>
Besides, I've never claimed that differences are instantly detectable.
They're not, usually. They get to you over an extended period.

RP)  That's an interesting comment.  I was reacting earlier to your
statement "wrought major improvements".

I would think that "wrought major improvements" are also "instantly
detectable."  Would you mine defining "an extended period"?  Was it hours,
days, weeks?

>  Do I understand by your comments that the "major
> improvements" that you discerned did not require ABX listening tests?

"Require"? As stated earlier, ABX only blurs the distinctions.

Someone locally here once told me he'd done a DBT that proved to the 99%
confidence level, that insertion of the ABX box was audible. I chuckled, as
I might hope everyone would.

Who elected the ABX box as our arbiter?

RP)  First, I meant to say DB ABX.  My mistake.  Second, you can build very
transparent ABX boxes and the nice thing about them is they provide the same
lens for both "A" and "B" - that's why they are valid in critical listening
tests.  Unless you are saying that all DB ABX listening tests are not valid?
Do you have a more definitive listening test procedure?

My comment about "requiring ABX" was that I was trying to determine how
audible the difference was - was it instant or was it difficult to
determine? I think you could see the intent of my question.

Regards,

Rob Poretti
Sales Engineer - Archiving
Cube-Tec North America