Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

--- On Thu, 10/16/08, Clark Johnsen <clarkjohnsen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Richard L. Hess wrote:

> > Considering the variability of the power wiring in the
> > walls, the last six feet has only a limited opportunity
> > to make any change to the sound of the component,
>
> Correction: We're talking the *first* six feet here.
> That's what the gear sees.

Are you proposing that the stretch of wiring from the
generator to the outlet in the wall is not "seen" by
the component?  Why not?

> > the minor parameter variations that typical
> > differences in power cords
> > present are far less than the variations in building
> > wiring.
>
> Again, an assertion. Sorry, but I'm not going to let
> you do the argument from authority.

Well, *somebody* needs to speak with authority in this
discussion.  To make the claim, that the vast majority
of influence that electrical power makes over the sound
quality put out by an audio device is made by the
power cord, is an extraordinary claim.  It would be
interesting to hear something that might back up
that assertion.  When someone makes an extraordinary
claim, it's not sufficient for him to to simply say
"Prove me wrong."  That's nothing but sophistry.