Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette players

Hi, Alec,

This is a major challenge that we all face. Where did you get a $2000 estimate and did you get any other estimates? At that point, it may be preferable to get another couple of ePay machines and for less money you may have working machines or at least parts.

The pool of good machines is getting smaller and we're all pressing the machines we have into heavy transfer service.

So far, my six Dragons are holding up, but because I have six, I'm only running a few hundred tapes a year through each. I'm not running them every day as there is editing and reel transfers as well.

One thing that I've written about on this list are USB devices, some even high speed which may (and I repeat MAY) offer adequate transfer capability. The real time or double speed ones from Ion and others may be an answer for spoken word archives while we leave the premium Naks for music.

Alas, no machines of the quality that used-to-be-made are now made. We either have to keep the old machines running at peak level or settle for the best of the current crop. I've obviously not invested in reviewing the current crop.

The two professional manufacturers that immediately come to mind are Tascam and Marantz, with Tascam probably being better across the board. OOOPS! Nigel Champion from NZ is here with me and said WRONG...so I looked it up. Marantz has discontinued all of their cassette decks and Tascam is offering one, the dual-well 202
http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;40,20.html and some combo CD/cassette decks
http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;40,34.html

I've heard mixed reviews of the Ion
http://www.ion-audio.com/tape2pc
and the U.K-based high-speed system I mentioned a while ago is definitely voice-only as it outputs 22.5 ks/s files. That one appears to be aimed at churches that have 5000 sermons on cassettes and want to do them in four minutes each.
http://www.graffofnewark.co.uk/
All I know of this was from the review in TWFM magazine which I read these days so I stay current for my local church. Wow--what churches are doing!

(2) The reasons that repairs are so high are:
--parts are unavailable and people who have caches want top dollar
--the machines were built with quality and do require knowledgeable
  technicians to service = $
--the few technicians who have the knowledge, skill, and parts are in
  demand = $$$

(3) As to outsourcing to others, would it be too self serving to say that's an option?

So, as I said, it's a mess. I don't know what I'll do when the magic smoke is let out of my Dragons!

One thing to consider: Do you really need to preserve everything ? ? ? Not my area of expertise, but I've been in some profound discussions with the church leadership on this matter and I'm seeing at least that there are other perspectives. This is even a more difficult question than the one asked, but helps solve that one, perhaps.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard