Re: [ARSCLIST] BASF LH 60

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I've got enough web space to make this work. I'll put together some xml, css and php. I should be able to start posting images in a couple of weeks. I'll contact the list and as soon I've got anything worth showing.

Best wishes

Mike

Marie OConnell wrote:
Thanks for the pictures Mike, it helps. I have worked on more cassettes than I care to remember but, it was the cleats that caught my eye. I found them often in random tape stock including BASF. Most often they would break in half or I would encourage them to! (A wee fast forward at the end of the side in the Nakamichi). I had a large collection of hubs and cleats/clips and would replace them. Hubs with the much smaller clips/cleats were far more reliable plus I noticed that the plastic used seemed to be a different compound. The larger ones seem to go hard and brittle making them break in half under tension.

I am very interested in your project of collecting images of cassettes.

Cheers
Marie

Marie O'Connell
Analogue Tape Preservation Archivist
Sound Archives/Nga Taonga Korero
PO Box 1531
Radio New Zealand House
Level 1, 51 Chester Street West
Christchurch
Phone +64 3 374 8443
Fax + 64 3 374 8448
www.soundarchives.co.nz --- My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions ---

mike.hirst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 7/10/2008 10:23 p.m. >>>
Further to my posting of yesterday re detached tapes in the cassette mechanism of BASF LH C60s, I have spent some time looking into the source of the problem. These are my findings so far:

In the period 1975-85 there are three distinct version of the BASF LH 60 cassette. Externally these differ municipally in the size and shape of the central window.

Prior to 1980 all tapes have a small window:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/BASF1.jpg

c.1980-81 the window changes shape and size:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/BASF1.jpg

After 1981 the window size is increased again:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/BASF1.jpg

In the small window version of the cassette the leader is attached to the spools using wide clips or cleats:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/cleats.jpg

In the later versions the fixing method is modified:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/spool.jpg

It is the earlier version of the cassette that is causing the problem (the image shows a selection of broken cleats).

In the later versions the fixing method is more reliable and can be viewed for verification prior to playing in the later large window version.

It seems to me that the greatest vulnerability in working with vintage cassette tapes is the tape mechanism itself. Following this experience I intend to spend some time collecting images and details of the internal mechanism of the cassettes I work with. If there is interest, I would be happy to share this information with others.

-- Mike Hirst Managing Director DAS-360° 16 Ocean View Whitley Bay Tyne & Wear NE26 1AL

tel: 0191 289 3186
email: mike.hirst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://www.das360.net