Re: [ARSCLIST] Lysistrata Overture

I think Mike Gray's right. It sounds like Lehar light, without big tunes.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael H. Gray" <mhgray@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Lysistrata Overture

Steven Smolian wrote:

I just played it. No worm (nor WERM).

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 12:05 AM

Steven Smolian wrote:

I've a US pathe record no later than 1920. It contains a "Lysistrata Overture" Parts 1 & 2. No composer. It's performed by the Pathe Freres Orchestra. It's probably pressed from French masters.

Any idea who the composer might be?

Steve Smolian

Of course, it may be a concert piece or an Ouverture to incidentla music or another sort of work. But if it is opera, the candidates according to the Dictionary Catalogue of Operas and Operettas would be Feautrier (1855) and P. Lincke (1874), though the latter is probably German.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/