Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: Peter Copeland on RCA Victor recordings (1941)

Tom Fine wrote:
You can hear that Victor was doing compression/limiting for sure by the 40s. Listen to Spike Jones "Popcorn Sack" for instance, or other material if you prefer less corny.
Spike Jones might not be a good example to use because a lot of his masters were dubbed. The ledger sheets note some specific examples where it was done because a gunshot or something overloaded the recording, but I have a feeling that a lot of the release masters were routinely dubs.

Actually I think the question is not whether Victor was doing it, but if it was done simultaneously on each mic individually. It could be that they were doing it selectively on a particular mic, or, of course, on the composite mix. And considering your father's technique of simplicity and single-mic recording, I would love to have found out what his opinion would be of having all these electronics compressing a half dozen mics separately!

Mike Biel mbiel@xxxxxxxxx