From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Biel
Sent: 29 September 2008 20:14
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Peter Copeland on RCA Victor recordings (1941)

Prentice, Will wrote:
Doug and all

I've looked up this edition of Wireless World, but there's no mention
of
Victor's use of limiters I'm afraid. It's a short, 3 paragraph article
entitled "New Recording Characteristic: Reducing Noise Level"
describing
in general terms the idea behind pre-emphasis.

I think the key word here is the use of the word "level" in the headline. Since limiters adjust level, could he have misinterpreted it to mean that this EQ was adjusting levels? As we know now, a pre-emphasis properly works only if there is a calibrated reciprocal de-emphasis on the playback end. Consumer phonographs did not have actual de-emphasis circuits at that time, only professional turntables in broadcasting had them for the newly emerging Orthocoustic and NAB curves. Unlike Dolby and DBX, these units were completely passive. Was

Peter possibly claiming that RCA was using limiters as an active EQ, several decades in advance of Dolby? And what was the 1941 Wireless World article detailing? Orthocoustic had been announced back in 1938 for ETs. Was this a curve being used on commercial phonograph records or a belated article on Orthocoustic?
I don't recall discussing this with Peter, but others he worked with
on
a wider level may know his sources. George Brock-Nannestad, possibly?

Will

I agree. George, have you seen anything in the EMI papers that discuss this?

Mike Biel mbiel@xxxxxxxxx