Re: [ARSCLIST] Bix Beiderbecke "reissue" 78's

Most Columbia pre-WW2 jazz reissues derive from original metal parts, and
post-war pressings are always dubs. I suspect that the post-war popularity
of record changers prompted new pressings with lead-in and "improved "
lead-out grooves that activated changer mechanisms more aggressively.
Sometimes you can spot altered lead -out grooves on pressings from
original metals.  The 1937 Bessie Smith memorial album and four 1933
Goodman titles reissued on the special BENNY GOODMAN label (3167-D,
3168-D) were all dubbed.  They also marked the end of Columbia's 1-D
series, created in 1923.

Victor reissued a lot of 1920s jazz on Bluebird from the mid-30s onward,
from both original and dubbed metals.  Album reissue setsof JR Morton,
McKinney's Cotton Pickers etc. appeared in both Canada and the US.
Canadian sets use original parts;  US equivalents are dubbed.

Victor kept most of its Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers titles available
in the Bluebird and Montgomery Ward catalogs through the 1930s,  The first
Bluebird B-5000 series reissues were dubbed, just about everything else
used original parts.

Dick

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>
09/10/2008 05:42 AM
Please respond to
Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [ARSCLIST] Bix Beiderbecke "reissue" 78's

Jeff Wheeler has a book in progress on this isssue-er-reissue situation.

Steve Smolian