From: Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury MG10000 series listing or discography
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 2:44 PM

It seems like a bunch of different stuff was tried in the early LP days. Then
there was some better
order brought to the catalog in the mid-50's when a bunch of both classical
and jazz were re-issued
with color-litho-laminated front covers and non-gloss white back covers. These
replaced the green
and red "leatherette" sleeves of the first round of LPs in the late
40's. Those sleeves, at least
with the classical records, were an obvious outgrowth of the old multi-record
78 albums. The 78
albums sometimes give more liner notes because at least some of the LPs are the
contents of two full
78 albums (for instance, the Shostakovich and Oistrahk from Prague 1946, each
of those were
individual 78 albums but each is one side of the MG10000 series LP).

Also, according to John Hammond's autobiography, the Telefunken stuff was
not in print on LP from
Mercury very long. There was Mercury's deal with the pre-Communist Czech
government (which grabbed
up the Telefunken master disks as war booty). Then, later on, Capitol made a
deal with the War
Reparations Board in Germany to license the disks Telefunken had in their
possession (copies of the
originals residing in Prague), all of this according to Hammond's book.
Lawsuits ensued between
Capitol and Mercury and Mercury lost, although the judge did note the superior
sound quality of
Mercury's made-from-masters LPs. Eventually, the Telefunken originals were
returned to Germany but I
think by then the US market for this material was pretty much dried up, and I
don't think Capitol
ever re-cut any of the material from the master disks.

Finally, the first Mercury LPs were pretty much all cut at Reeves, by my father
and/or George Piros.
The later cuts were made at Fine Sound, these were for the new, more colorful
covers. Those cuts
have a MF number in the deadwax, signifying they were cut with the Miller-Fine
cutter. To my ears,
disk-to-disk cuts were done at both times for the pre-tape-master material; I
say this because I
cannot hear the tell-tale signs of a tape-dub master (a little bit of hiss, a
little bit of fuzzy
dynamics).  BTW, the first-issue cuts of the MG50000, MG40000 and MG80000 were
also MF cuts. The
reissue cuts, made in the late 50's, to bring the still-in-print mono
catalog into full RIAA
compliance and also to re-number the 40000 and 80000 into non-used 50000
numbers, were made at Fine
Recording and don't carry the MF mark in the deadwax. These are generally
quieter pressings but the
MF versions sometimes have faster/sharper/more dramatic dynamics.

-- Tom Fine