[ARSCLIST] CF cards, FAT16 formatting, Windows XP and some older JVC Portable Rom Players

Folks,

I hope this isn't too off topic. We've got a large number of JVC XA-GP3BK audio players. These are the kind of thing you find for exhibit-based audio playback in museums--they've got a mono earphone, numerical keypad for selecting audio tracks, a play button, a volume knob and use CF cards for file storage. Pretty simple and well suited to our needs.

We purchased them several hundred years ago to be able to include interview audio excerpts for our in house exhibits. We also loan them out to other local museums that want to include audio material in their exhibits.

The problem I seem to be having relates to CF card formatting. As I said, in digital technology terms these things are sort of old--they date back to the late 1990s. Herein lies the root of the problem.

According to the developer's handbook for creating audio programs for use with these units the CF cards need to be "MSDOS formatted." I assume this means FAT. All fine and good, right? Well, I learned (the hard way, actually) that FAT32 isn't exactly fully compatible with the players. I've also learned that Windows XP doesn't allow for FAT16 formatting.

Outside of trying to track down an old 98SE or 2K machine (which I might be able to do), is there any way--a third party app, a command line approach--that I can use to do a FAT16 format on these cards using my XP machine? Anyone know if a Mac running OSX will do a FAT16 format?

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks!

andy
--