Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT transfer question

Given the high error rates and mutes I find on older DATs not stored under ideal conditions, I'd be hesitant to run at faster than real-time, the tought being that even more errors and mutes might result. Is this a flawed theory?

-- Tom Fine

One nice thing about the DAT2WAV program is that if an uncorrectable error is detected, the software splits the file. You have to join the files back together, but that is a piece of cake in Wavelab (as is ifxing most small glitches using the waveform restorer).
I understand that the error correction used in data drives is more robust than for CD drives, but I don't know if that is true using DAT2WAV.
At any rate, the only tapes I've been unable to extract were ones with no ABS.

-Matt S