Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT transfer question

Ya'll "fergive" me if this is a completely idiotic
question.

Is there any way to transfer audio DAT tapes directly onto
a hard drive
without going through the process of playing and recording
in real time?
I'm thinking of the data backup and storage drives here
which might use
stationary heads.  Hey!....Never hurts to ask.

Martin

I use a Sony SDT-5000 DDS drive (internal scsi) to extract DAT audio at 2x speed. I had to upgrade the firmware for the drive to decode audio, and I use a command line (freeware) program called DAT2WAV. The hardest part of setting up the system for me was configuring the command lines so that the program would detect the drive, but once I got it working it worked really well. Find DAT2WAV at: http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/dat2wav.htm

-Matt Sohn