Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking recommendations for oral history digitization equipment

At 01:14 PM 2008-08-17, Malcolm Smith wrote:
It's worth getting a fast computer or a great deal of time will be
spent waiting for processing to take place. If you're handling a lot
of material, this can add up.

Hi, Malcom,

I've more-or-less standardized on 3 GHz P4 computers around here -- and Dell Optiplexes are showing up on the used market in this class for decent money.

What it seems -- at least with Samplitude and Algorithmix -- is that raw processor speed is the most important criteria, followed by good I/O capability.

I was really surprised (but shouldn't have been) when I upgraded the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB on my audio machine (a 3 GHz P4 with hyperthreading) that the additional RAM didn't seem to be used or to help.

I haven't looked a lot into whether the two threads are used (which in Core Duo processors would be the separate cores) but I'm not sure that a 2 GHz Core Duo processor is a good trade-off against a 3 GHz straight P4. While in certain, well-tuned graphics applications and gaming, I hear of astonishing increases with dual-core and quad-core processors, but, so far, I haven't seen the potential for that in either slide scanning (the 3.2 GHz P4 was running 1/2 of its hyperthreading full out and the other half was sitting there. I turned off hyperthreading for the Nikon Scan software) or for audio with Samplitude, though Samplitude is multi-core ready.

So, I'm really asking...what are people seeing in multi-core processors for audio vs single-core?

The FSB speed may be as much of a factor as the processor speed.

I'd be curious what you and others have found. For audio, the complexity of the processing directly affects the rendering (bouncing) and the MP3 coding speed. Setting the MP3 coding to highest quality really slows things down. With the 3 GHz processor, my typical oral history cleaning pass gets done in about 3-6 minutes for an hour piece. MP3s take longer, though those can be batched overnight.

Cheers,

Richard