Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking recommendations for oral history digitization equipment (fwd)

There is an important distinction here. Freeware is computer software that is available for use at no cost or for an optional fee. Freeware is often made available in a binary-only, proprietary form, thus making it distinct from open source software. Proprietary freeware allows authors to contribute something for the benefit of the community, while at the same time allowing them to retain control of the source code, future direction of development and preserve its business potential. Open source, on the other hand, is a development methodology, which offers practical accessibility to a product's source (goods and knowledge). The open source model of operation and decision making allows concurrent input of different agendas, approaches and priorities, and differs from the more closed, centralized models of development. The principles and practices are commonly applied to the development of source code for software that is made available for public collaboration, and it is usually released as open-source software.

The Open Source Definition is used by the Open Source Initiative to determine whether or not a software license can be considered open source.

http://opensource.org/docs/osd

This is far more than an issue of semantics. Collaboration is an important aspect of creative development. Open Source Culture defines a framework for collaborative development. Open source software is a product of this model. Freeware on the other hand is merely something that you don't pay for.

Examples of successful Open Source projects would include;

Apache HTTP server http://www.apache.org/
MySql http://www.mysql.com/
OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/
Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Thunderbird http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
Python http://www.python.org/
Perl http://www.perl.org/
Linux http://www.linux.org/
FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org/
ImageMagick http://www.imagemagick.org/

All of which have been widely adopted and are used everyday in web development, communication and business.

Steven C. Barr wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Hirst" <mike.hirst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I must take exception here. Audacity is not freeware it is an Open Source Project:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
The two are very different things.
Of course Audacity does not have the same features as Soundforge. It is however solid and reliable. It will accept VST plugins and can perform all the basic editing functions necessary for sound capture/audio transfer. Whilst I would not suggest using Audacity as a tool for audio restoration, it is a tool that I have recommended and used in training and working with museum professionals. Used in conjunction with a quality analogue playback and an audio interface with a good spec, there is no reason why Audacity should not perform as well as Soundforge, Adobe Audition, or any other commercial package.

Okeh...it IS freeware!! How do I know?! I have downloaded both the
current version and a beta-test newer version...for the grand total of $0.00
(US or Canadian...eh?!)

Of course, my "analog playback device" is a mid-seventies Viking "record
player," with its ceramic-cartridge output (1 volt +/-) redirected into the
"Line In" jack of my sound card...but I used a similar set-up to record any
number of 78's...in some cases for CD reissues done by Mr. Lennick!
To my (admittedly imperfect) ears, I find that the increased tracking pressure
(around an ounce or so) makes up in quality for its less-than-perfect fidelity
of the cartridge...! Only problem is that N8-3d needles are getting VERY
hard to find...?!

Steven C. Barr

-- Mike Hirst Managing Director DAS-360° 16 Ocean View Whitley Bay Tyne & Wear NE26 1AL

tel: 0191 289 3186
email: mike.hirst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://www.das360.net