Re: [ARSCLIST] Scarlatti Orchestra: Info needed please

Mike Richter wrote:
David Lennick wrote:

The version shown in the 1963 catalog was probably the standard one by that time, but Angel (and Westminster) issued albums in "thrift" editions with generic covers as well as the more elaborate ones. I don't know why anyone ever thought that was a good idea.

Anyone with a tight budget and broad taste can answer that one. <G>

Seriously, the buck-a-disc saving mattered to many (including me) during that period. Similarly, many chose to save a dollar by buying monaural where stereo did not seem to add much.

My LP library is well supplied with bargain versions and monaurals where stereo was available.

Mike

Also, the budget versions of the Angel jackets haven't fallen to pieces the way the dowel post ones have. As for mono vs stereo, I was equally budget conscious in the 60s and bought the mono versions of Everest's Archive of Piano series because they were 30 cents cheaper. Only much later did I discover that they were in fact stereo..Everest cut one set of masters and printed two sets of labels and jackets.

But liner notes would have been nice! (On the Angels, that is.)

dl