Re: [ARSCLIST] Large-format scanner redux

I have an Epson 1640 XL which is absolutely superb. It may be that it has been replaced with a newer model. It has a couple of extras I bought with it - the transparency lid and a card that goes in the back to allow it's use with firewire. I would strongly suggest not getting anything that hooks up via SCSI as it's really not used anymore. A lot of us have about $500 worth of the cords in a plastic box in the back of a closet! What ever you decide on, a very big difference is Silverfast software. The Epson model I have, the XL version comes with it. I discovered that they make the software for most of the scanners out there so I ordered it for a Nikon slide scanner. It was a tremendous improvement on the software that came from Nikon. If you go to their web site, you will probably find what ever scanner you decide on listed. The version that imbeds a profile is worth it if you want to maximize color accuracy. I would think that any better quality scanner interfaces with Photoshop.

Malcolm Smith.