Re: [ARSCLIST] Blumlein broadcast today

Hello Steve

On 02/08/08, Steve Abrams wrote:
> From BBC Website:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7537782.stm
> (includes video)
>

> Unique recordings by the inventor of stereo have been cleaned up so
> the public can hear them properly for the first time.
>
> They include Sir Thomas Beecham conducting the London Philharmonic
> Orchestra (LPO) at Abbey Road Studios in 1934. The recordings were
> made by Alan Blumlein, an EMI research engineer, whose contribution to
> the invention of stereo sound is only now starting to be appreciated.
> The early recordings have been re-engineered using digital technology
> so their true quality can be appreciated.
>
> Sound engineer Roger Beardsley who was responsible for the digital
> transfers called the recordings "incredibly historic". "They have
> never been properly reproduced, but we've recovered the original
> information that was there", he said.

I listened to this on FM stereo. The Beecham items were very brief, and
are better represented on LP.

The speech tests were more interesting, and remarkably realistic. This
was helped by the speakers of the radio (Tivoli Audio) being at about
the height of the mouth of a standing man.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx