Re: [ARSCLIST] Jazz78 session dates

I remember having troubles with some of those dates as well. The Kirby album liner says "first session since the ban". I just opened my copy of Delaunay and found a printout of a discussion of this matter on 78-L where Uncle Dave Lewis and yours truly suggested that 1944 is correct for the Kirby session, not 1945. Apparently Kirby's band was in LA from late March 1945.

dl

Steven Smolian wrote:
The Lord discography lists

John Kirby Asch session beginning matrix 760 as 4/26/45

Coleman Hawkins Asch session beginning matrix 790-795 as 1/11/45

Maxtrix 746, Meade Lewis, is 8/18 or 9/8/44

I have nothing in this series past 795.

Can anyone supply better, sourced dates?  Given the way Asch assigned his
matrix numbers, one of these two is wrong.

Steve Smolian