To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The Evolution of the Music Business

There are two arguments against downloading, and possible soutions to each.

Records and a CDs serve as their own file cards, at least for one accesss unit- title, compser, performer, etc.- except various artist compilations which have always been difficult.

Downloads are amorphous. One hopes that they will be on the computer where they were put, but, given the realties of computer perceived lifetimes- everything from "time to change the clunker. It has 100 terabytes of use." to encounters with a virus to - well, you know.

Possible solution: dedicated flash drives.
Have there been any tests on these little guys in terms of lifetimes, better brands, etc.?
These could come preporgramed with a cataloging system and various software enhancements for using "better than MP3", etc. 8GB's units are under $ 32.29, I noticed on Super Media Store's spamail this AM.

And that brings us to cataloging. For much music, what can be downloaded for individul CDs is pretty elementary and even then takes a lot of massaging to make them consistant within a lager data base. The key is finding a simple program that allows more complete entries and all the search vectors that we need to make best use of our audio files.

We're coming up on the release of the program that created the ARSC Victor 78 listings, if I didn't miss it. That could be the answer, or, at least, part of it.

Everything I mentioned above may have altready happened while my nose was to the grindstone. In which case, I'd love to know about it.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>